This article will help you to configure your NETGEAR router for cable/broadband internet connection with the smart wizard and Netgear genie. Also, get the instruction to reset your Netgear router if you forgot your username and password.
Steps to configure Netgear router with Smart Wizard
- First, connect your modem to the Netgear router internal port.
- Then, connect PC with your LAN.
- Now, switch ON the computer, router, and modem to get started. And wait for them to finish booting up.
- Once it is all done, open a web browser on your computer. And type 192.168.1.1 or 192.168.0.1 in the address bar to point the browser to this address. It will be redirected like this http://192.168.1.1 and http://192.168.0.1.
- Now, you are in the router’s login panel. On this page, you need to enter the username and password to get into the administrative panel of your network.
- If you are using the new router and you haven’t done anything with your network, then you can apply the default username and password to log in to your router management panel. But if you already made some changes to your network settings, then you must give the username and password that you have registered with.
- In case, if you forgot your username and password of your Netgear router, then reset your Netgear router to get the factory default settings.
- Now, select Setup Wizard. Once you tap on it, the setup wizard screen displays in front of you.
- Then, select Yes and click Next.
- The Setup Wizard detects the type of internet connection. For cable internet connections, the Setup Wizard detects Dynamic IP.
- Select Next to save the Netgear router settings.
- Now, select Router Status under Maintenance to check that you are connected to the internet.
- And see your IP address from the router status.
Steps to configure Netgear router with Netgear genie
- Turn OFF your modem and router power cords. Also, remove the backup battery on your modem, if you have one.
- Now, connect an Ethernet cable from modem to the internal port of the router which is yellow shaded.
- And connect an Ethernet cable from the computer to your router LAN ports.
- Now, turn ON all of your devices and re-insert the backup battery too. Once it is connected properly, you can see the stable light indication on your Netgear router.
- Open a browser and point it to http://192.168.1.1 or http://192.168.1.1 and hit enter.
- If you have the new Netgear router, then enter the default username and password which is given in the user manual. For example, type admin on both of the username and password required field. If you already have accessed the router admin panel, then enter the password that you have given.
- Select ADVANCED > Setup Wizard.
- Select Yes and click Next.
- Once the setup has finished configuring the internet connection, the Congratulations page displays. Click Take me to the Internet to test the connection.
How to reset Netgear router
- The factory reset button is available at the back side of your router. To reset the router, press and hold the reset button for 10 to 30 seconds. To do this, you need a paper clip or similar object.
- Once you have done, your router starts to reboot. After your router is finished with the factory reset, the Power light stops blinking and lights solid green.
- This method helps the user to get the factory default username and password of the router.
For more support, visit the Netgear support page from here.